Fly Me To The Moon ... My wedding ceremonies


Oh GOD, am I really a married man? I played with the ring that loosely clings on my henna tainted finger, still in disbelief; next to me was my bride, laid face down, sleeping like a baby. We were both extremely exhausted. I just could not sleep. My head was throbbing with headache and my body was feeling rather lethargic. Having had four receptions and ceremonies in five days was tiring. Off course it was fun to get all the attention, meeting all the people you love and cared for, and the ceremonies were all beautiful and grand but having FOUR of them??? I wouldn’t hesitate to trade it with a drive-in wedding like those in Vegas. One of my close friends even said it was like I was married four times to a same woman.

We had one day off after the Majlis Nikah dan Berinai (Solemnation Ceremony) on Thursday. We spent that Friday for last minute preparation for the next three ceremonies to be taken place three days in a row. Driving the entire breadth and length of this sprawling metropolis the whole day, the distance I guess enough to get me to the moon and back. Oh did I mention I helped my father in-law clearing the tree branches from the tents area and I got my arms scratched all over? My wedding planner, Sam was screaming when he saw the red scars all over my arms. “What your father in-law did to you? Didn’t he know that you are a Dermalogica guy and not some cheap labours?”. I thought it was funny .Off course I want to prove to my father in-law that I am a son that he never has. Eveready for any tasks only fit for a man. And yes, I am the eldest in the family now, what a steep promotion from being the youngest in my own family.

30 May 2009

Majlis Bersanding – Bride’s side





Again I did not get enough sleep, but I was excited, my whole family was excited especially my nieces and nephews. My entourage was wearing Red. They looked stunning and obviously overjoyed. Well my family love playing dress up. I bought the all the fabrics from Al-Ghaliah store at Souq Al-Diera, Doha. A set of red and another set of white for the formal reception tomorrow. I was wearing purple though. Not my favourite colour in the world, but hey this isn’t my function so I just have to wear them and put on my happy faces. The clothes or shall I say costume was a resemblance of what a Malay Sultan would wear, complete with a Keris (dagger), Tengkolok (head gear) and all the accessories befitting the Raja Sehari (King for a day) title (but in my case a king for four days). My elder brother, Om was my best man. He too looked dashing and can be mistaken as the groom (If I wasn’t there off course). Apart from mom, Along (my eldest brother) was the happiest. He couldn’t make it to my Nikah. Our procession from the Rumah Bersanggar (A place / house where the groom’s family gather and rest) to my bride’s house was accompanied by a Kompang (a Malay traditional percussion instrument) troupe, running through two housing blocks. Imagine the otherwise quiet neighbourhood being stormed by the thunderous sound of Kompang. People went to their doors wondering who was getting married and maybe they were pissed that we woke them up from their nice weekend afternoon naps. I was just waved to the onlookers pretending like a king on a royal parade. I even called Om Datuk Bendahara (Prime Minister).

We were greeted by a man performing Silat (a Malay martial art) upon our arrival. I saw some familiar faces among the guests. They are my ex-colleagues from MMHE, where I met my wife three years ago. We were stopped by a series of ‘Tolls’ by my wife’s siblings and relatives from the entrance of the house right to the Pelamin (a decorated seating for the bride and groom like a throne). They won’t let us through without some angpau (cash envelope) for all the gate keepers. My eldest and second brothers, Angah and Along were assigned to get rid of the gate keepers by bribing them with angpaus. No wonder our country so corrupt. Corruption are everywhere even at weddings and it even accepted as tradition. The last gatekeeper was the Mak Andam (Wedding planner / make up artist) herself. She would only reveal my wife’s face after getting a huge ransom from us (RM 100). It was so funny, Along did not gave her RM100 in lump sum but an RM10 in each envelope. She peeked on each angpau and said it wasn’t enough. When she finally did, I saw the face of my beautiful wife smiling, clenching her lips tight as she was holding her laughter from bursting out from her tiny diaphragm.



The Toll




Next on agenda when I was seated was the Upacara Menepung Tawar (Blessing ceremony by the elders). We had the elders from both sides of the families take turn to offer their blessing by performing a ritual that include placing henna, rice flour water, pot pouri of pandanus leaves and rose water on our palms. Along was really emotional during his turn to Menepung Tawar. He wept so hard he even got the emcee noticed. I was so touched and was unable to hold my own tears from the reservoir. We hugged and he kissed both my cheeks. At that moment I knew he was proud of me. He was relieved from his promise to Encik (my late father) to look after me and my other siblings. I never felt this close to him in my life. It never occurred to me that he loved me that much.

We had a photo session after having a sumptuous meal at Makan Berdamai (Formal feast for the Bride & Groom and the Groom’s family). While we busy at the photo shoot, Om was enjoying what he does best, karaoke-ing. He even partnered with Hanis. What a nice collaboration between the two families.

From traditional Malay costume, we changed to more western outfits for the Cake Cutting. The Power of Love song by Celine Dion and Kaulah Segalanya (You’re everything) by Ruth Sahanaya were on the background. They were Hani’s favourites.




We had a rather informal and casual outdoor photo session before the ceremony concluded. It was not a typical bridal photo session; we had our photos taken by the drain, bus stops, road sides and back lanes. We had so much fun. The photographers even commented that they had never worked with such a sporting and sempoi (cool) pengantin (bride and groom) before.


31 May 2009

Formal Reception




The day started with a formal rehearsal and some last minute preparations was still ongoing. I was pleased with the setting of the Pelamin (throne), flower arrangements, music etc. It was so beautiful, simple but elegant, subtle but grandeur. Thanks to my best friend, Sam who’d assume the role of wedding planner and the rest of the team.

My nephews and nieces once again led the procession. When the main door opened, we were shrouded in a white smoke. Once the smoke cleared we saw everyone was standing with wide smiles welcoming the Raja Sehari. Everyone look so stunning in white. The Gamelan music that accompanied the procession exudes the regal moods and adds elegance to the ceremony. I was deliriously happy to see a lot of people that important to me present on that day. I cannot stop my tears from falling when I was hugged and kissed by family, relatives and friends one by one along the red carpet. There were layers of people standing close to the aisle to get a close look at us. I can’t stop smiling along the way to the Pelamin. It was like both ends of my mouth were hooked to my ears.





The ceremony was conducted in Malay and English hosted by Marina and Nizam. It sounded and looked like a televised wedding of a royalty. Asrul on the other hand brilliantly played the role of a floor MC.

I wept like a baby when Mak Cik and Mak Lang offered their blessings during the Menepung Tawar rite. They were like mothers to me. They brought me up and look after me like theirs. I will be forever indebted to them. I am sure they were proud to see their little Adik Syam now a married man.


A slide show depicting our colourful life was shown during lunch, I didn’t eat much though; the environment was too exciting to be missed.

While we changed into another outfit for the cake cutting ceremony, Asrul kept the guests entertained with his renowned antics. There were lucky draws and best dress competitions. The guests were also entertained by performances by Ikhsan and Indra.

The air was less formal when we re-entered the ballroom for the cake cutting ceremony. We were like those film stars on a red carpet attending a world premier. Guests, some who’d just came once again lined up on each sides of the red carpet for an opportunity to shake hand and get a close look at us, their stars for the day. That was one of the most memorable walks I have taken in my life. We had a 7 tier dummy cake for the ceremony that looks far from convincing, but they were pretty nevertheless. Fly me to the moon track by Jean Marrie Riachi was played as a background for the event, from the walk to the cake cutting. I can still literally feel the whole event every time I hear the song.








We each then gave our speech. We were both quite emotional during our speech. Mine especially. It’s embarrassing when I think about it again. Erase erase…

The ceremony was concluded with a superb performance by Liza singing I will always love you where we had our first dance.



Our First Dance




1 June 2009

Majlis Bertandang






How I wish I could just lie down and rest in the Honeymoon Suite provided for us by the hotel. I don’t know if I can last the whole day. Mom insisted to have this additional ceremony at Flat Larkin for her friends and relatives who couldn’t make it to the one held at The Zon yesterday.

It’s Asrul turn to do the make up for Hani. He still has not lost his touch. At least Hani still look stunning in the light green frock from Moyang Art.

There was no Limo Service, so we had to drive ourselves from the hotel to Bandar Baru UDA where we were joined by the bride’s entourage then to Flat Larkin Hall. It was so funny; we sure looked like a pair of pengantin kahwin lari.

It was a scorching hot day. With headache from last night still linger and now the heat stress, I wish I could call off the event. I can’t hide my resentment, it shows on my face. I said to myself, it will be over soon. Mom really put an effort. With all the support at her disposal and her life long experience with weddings, the wedding ceremony at Larkin looked like a scene from a movie of P.Ramlee’s era. The Kompang, the Silat, the Kuda Kepang, the Zapin, you name it. Everything was meticulously done, from the setting of the Pelamin, the food and the hall deco. Apart from the heat which was beyond our control and the nuisance from the karaoke singer during the Menepung Tawar, and the sound system hiccups during the Zapin show, everything else was perfect.





My journey in marriage life was just begun with the conclusion of my rather elaborate wedding ceremonies, but I thank ALLAH for giving me Hani as my Jodoh.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

Kamus Loghat Muar / Tangkak

Triclub Doha Aquathlon 8

Hujan Emas di Qatar