Standard Chartered Doha 10K

14 December 2013

Hani and I entered a 10 km race organised by the Standard Chartered Bank in support of their Seeing Is Believing charity initiation. It is one of the many Standard Chartered races worldwide. I was not looking forward for this race, because 10 km is my least favourite event. 5 km of fast anaerobic torture is as much I am willing to handle and having to do it twice the length is enough to make me want to wee in my pants so to speak.

The race started about half an hour late and it was already too hot by the time we started. My goal for this race was just to do my best and clock a new PB.  My coach, on the other hand wanted me to run a sub 43 minutes. Well, I thought I can manage that considering I just did a 5 km in a PB time of 20:22 few weeks ago at Doha College 5K race, and it's only natural that if you good at 5 k you should be able to replicate the same in the 10k, like Mo Farah. But I forgot, I just ran a long run two days ago and I am no Mo Farah.

I tried to pace myself and run at an even pace from the beginning, but I found that a 4:20 min/km pace was too hard to hold. I ended up running at around 4:30 min/km pace.   Everything went wrong for me that day. First, we woke up late and did not have time for breakfast. I felt so weak and low on energy halfway. Secondly, I also missed the first water stop right at the beginning and the next one was at km 6.5. I was so thirsty and dehydrated it gave me head ache. Thirdly, I wore a wrong tights that was so restrictive. It was a 3 quarter type tights with the length down to below the knee. It restricted my strides by limiting high knees movement. So much of trying to wear something modest. I found the tights are not suitable for sprint races.

I cannot imagine that a short 10 km could be that hard. I crossed the finish line in 44:45 totally knackered. It was far from the targetted sub 43 but it was still a PB nevertheless. The course was 160m too. I would have done 44:18 if it was 10k and not 10.16km. My timing was 3 minutes faster than my previous PB so it was not all that bad after all. I am glad that the short races over so I can concentrate on my marathon training.

With the rest of Malaysian contingent
Off we go. Can you spot that pint size runner wearing no 11?
Hate the tights and I seriously need a haircut 

Nice Medal

Race Statistic:

Net Time: 44:45
Rank Total: 28/368
Rank Category (Men Senior): 15
Shoe: Asics Gel Excel 33


...............................................

Hani on the other had had a great race. She did a PB too with a time of 57:38. Our friend Lily was pacing her the whole way. She finished at 190th overall and 32nd in her category. It was amazing considering she just did a half marathon race last week. Well done my dear.

The look of determination. I am so proud of you Ma.
Thank you Lily. We owed you so much. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kamus Loghat Muar / Tangkak

Triclub Doha Aquathlon 8

Hujan Emas di Qatar