A walk(s) to remember

Its Eid, the whole of Qatar have a week of holidays to celebrate the Feast of Sacrifice, but not me. I have to work during the holiday period. For a company who supplies 30% of the world's LNG, having everyone off for 5 days will definitely cause a global LNG crisis.
The company provides transport to work. I usually just board the bus right in front of my house. But for this holiday period, there will only be one pick up point, the Qatar Sports Club (QSC). Which is about 10 km from where I live. So I have to wake up at 5am and get a cab at 5.30am.
There is only one public transportation company in Qatar, Mowasalat. They monopolise the bus and taxi services in Qatar. Both services are very limited. Their taxi service are particularly very unreliable. So the majority of the people like me who does not drive or own a car, resort for private cabs. I have one who I always call whenever I need a ride around town. Rohan. He was always reliable albeit at a price 50% more than that of a metered taxi. So I called him. The first day was ok. He arrived 15 minutes late but I still make it to the QSC before 6am for the pick up. He also came to pick me at QSC in the afternoon. I told him that I need a ride tomorrow morning.
On Monday night Rohan called, saying he will not be able to come because he is in a desert at Mesaieed having a little break. I understand. The man needs a break sometime. So I called Mowasalat. I Told them I need a taxi at 5.30am. I was not surprised when the customer service guy told me that the first available taxi will be at 7.30 am. Well it happen before. I was panicking. How am I going to get there. I called another private taxi no that I kept, but the guy is back in India for holiday. I became more panicking. I missed my car more more at a time like this. I don't have any other contacts and for sure there will not be any cabs on the road at 5.30am. I called a friend for help but he too was preoccupied. I was frustrated and loosing hope. I went to bed that night angry. I don't want to bother anybody else for help. So I decided to walk. Yes walk 10km in the wee hour in a middle of winter.
I set my alarm clock at 4am and started my morning walk at 4.30am. Armed with a thick winter jacket I just bought at Debenham and an Ipod Nano, I brisk walked following the normal route Rohan always use to get to QSC. It turned out to be a good experience. The road was quiet. The air was crisp, a bit chilly but pleasant. Hey I can do this. I could use some exercise. I completed the course in 45 mins. And arrived 30 mins early.
I don't bother to call Rohan again and just walked for the rest of the week.

Comments

Aled said…
salute sket...yakinnye jalan kaki 10km..tabik springggg..sabo je la sham..dogaan tu duk tempat orang
whitelighter said…
Aled..
Huhu nak nangis pun ada memula.. tapi dah adat org merantau kan
zal said…
kesian nya... i should have given u my car while i was away...
Tepak Sireh said…
what? 10km walk???? its too much for me... tapi kalau jalan dalam Mall sehari suntuk, sanggup and larat.... tak de orang kidnapped ek kat sana? just be extra careful dude...

Popular posts from this blog

Kamus Loghat Muar / Tangkak

Triclub Doha Aquathlon 8

Hujan Emas di Qatar