Happy National Day Qatar

18 Dec is Qatar National Day. Its Thursday, so I will have another long weekend to laze around and rejuvenate. I was not planning to wake up early today. But it was just a dream. At around 8 am I was awaken by the sound of fighter jets intruding the column of airspace above my apartment. The National day parade must be well on the way I thought. I wanted to go but I do not have anyone to go with, so I spent the morning at home, hooked on skype. It is cold outside anyway. At 4pm I came to my senses. Why am I sitting here when the whole of Qatar is having fun. So I grab my jacket, my Ipod and walked all the way to Rumeillah Park at the Corniche.
It is almost dark when I finally got there. The place was already packed with people. The mood and atmosphere was simply festive and joyous. The crowd was waving the Qatari Flags and the kids got their faces painted with the national colours of white and maroon. Everyone was anxious to wait for the much talked about Light and Sound show, and off course fireworks.
The show started about an hour later. The crowd went ecstatic when the city suddenly showered with giant spotlights danced to the tune from the many speakers placed along the Corniche. A series of fountain then appeared along the bay with images projected onto them. The wall of skyscrapers on the Westbay acted as a backdrop to the show. I must say that I was quite impressed.
The finale of the show was a spectacular elaborate fireworks display launched from Palm Tree Island in the middle of the bay. I called it a night after the fireworks and walked back. Happy National Day Qatar.


An unsafe act of patriotism. I saw a lot of it

Future generation

Proud Qatari

Emerald City?

Images from the bay


More pics here

Comments

zal said…
first time those qatari nak celebrate... mmg lah excited... previous years, mana ada celebration.
Tepak Sireh said…
u shud get a good dslr camera with a wider/longer lense.... baru pic malathop!
whitelighter said…
Zal.. ye ke? la selama ni cemana diorg celebrate?

Rush.. Tu lah aku pun rasa camtu gak

Popular posts from this blog

Kamus Loghat Muar / Tangkak

Triclub Doha Aquathlon 8

Hujan Emas di Qatar