Ahaa .. Arabee? Passport Qatari?

Me and Asfaezi had dinner at Sri Kebaya tonight. I was craving for some Malaysian food for sometime now. Since we were at Souq Waqif, I thought, I want to check for an arab thobe. There are plenty to choose from here. I settled for a regular white Qatari thobe with a mandarin collar, a red and white guthra and an igal. There were some locals at the shop. My shopping for an arab thobe caused a stir of excitement to these people. Why? An oriental can't wear a thobe? Isn't the reason for wearing it is about equality? And it also fitting with a Malay saying "Masuk Kandang Kambing Mengembek, Masuk Kandang Harimau Mengaum" which means you ought to follow the way the locals do when you are in a foreign place.

I decided to wear the guthra and walk around the souq. Asfaezi as supportive as ever, was excited to see me getting a lot of attention from the locals at the souq. I have never feel more welcomed from the locals since I got here. But not tonight. Almost every locals I met was either smiling, giggling or even shook my hand. I felt like a star. I was even stopped by two Qatari kids. They were so amused and took my photos. One with his mobile phone and another with his expensive DSLR. How cool was that. I kept arranging my guthra. Well I never wear a tudung before. My act attracted the attention of one Qatari guy who just stop and adjusted my guthra in the middle of the narow alley at souq. The women too. They were whispering to each other and looking at me. Well it is not proper to look, let alone stare at Qatari women. So we always avoid eye contact. But tonight they were all looking at me smiling and giggling. Asfaezi was so happy that I fulfilled his wild fantasy to see arab women smiling and pays attention to us. I was being used by him in a way.

I thought I had enough of this little parade so we went to a grocery shop to buy ciggarate before taking a rain check. The shop keeper was not paying attention at first and just handed me my pack of Marlboro, but when he looked up to accept the money, he was all smiling and said " Ahaaa.. Arabee? Passport Qatari??.. I replied 'La.. ana Malazia..'


Comments

zafi said…
ya sheikh .. khaifahalaks?
happy Eidul Adha
whitelighter said…
Zafi

Shokran.. Eid Mubarak
Tepak Sireh said…
ur Malay saying silap lah bro... buat aku ketawa terbahak2... it shud be like this " masuk kandang kambing mengembek, masuk kandang lembu menguak" mana ada masuk kandang harimau, if it happened so "masuk kandang harimau... lariiii... run for ur life!!!"....
whitelighter said…
Tepak..

Ohh salah ke? haha.. bestu aku masuk kandang unta ni cemana
aqbary said…
Haha....

So cute...

Popular posts from this blog

Kamus Loghat Muar / Tangkak

Triclub Doha Aquathlon 8

Hujan Emas di Qatar