The Curious Case of Benjamin Button



I finally had a chance to watch this movie this afternoon. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was based on a 1921 short story by F Scott Fitzgerald.

I arrived at the cinema when the movie was about to start. I was hungry and at 2 p.m. I still have not taken my lunch. I can practically hear the symphony orchestra from my stomach. I thought of getting something to eat first but I hate arriving late at the movies as a courtesy not to disturb other patrons and I was not planning to miss anything from the movie. So I went in, hungry.

As soon as the movie starts, I was taken on a roller coaster ride of emotions. I gave all my attention and focus to the silver screen like I was the only one in the theatre. This movie may be a little too slow and absurd for some. But this is exactly what I am looking for in a movie, good story, great production and stellar performance from the actors. I guess most of the audience at the cinema today agreed with me. Why I said that? For the first time I did not hear anybody talking, or mobile phones ringing during the entire length of the movie. This is so uncommon here in Doha. What surprised me more, I saw the local arab guy seated next to me, all in his machismo cried as he left during the credits. 

This movie is about believing in miracle and about love, an unconditional love. It is also about how our strong will to survive or to succeed will triumph over what was thought to be impossible. Believing in yourself that you can do what other people can even though people around you were sceptics. It reminds us to appreciate LIFE and to view death as a natural process. You may read the synopsis of the movie here.

I left the movie with a lump in my throat, with that kind of feeling you get after watching a really good movie. The ones that you will remember for a long long time. I would say Benjamin Button is in the same league as my favourite movies of all time, The English Patient and Billy Elliot.
 
My only reservation about the movie is the length. At 2 hrs 47 min, it requires perseverance for most of us, but I really did not mind it. I even forgot I was hungry. The movie received generally good reviews. Read them here and here 


Photos courtesy of Yahoo Movies. More photos and trailers here

Comments

Elizabeth said…
Billy Elliot...what a beautiful film.
whitelighter said…
Elizabeth..
Yes indeed.. it's a beautiful and a very inspiring movie.. "this is quite strange billy.. but for sometime now i've been thinking of the royal ballet school... arent you a bit old miss... not me, you, im a bloody teacher.. hahaha remember the dialog?
k-riey said…
heh. jumpe pn blog dia neh.
rase mcm familliar lak ngan tajuk muvi nih.
tp ta ingat katne dgr pasal tajuk ni.
tajuk ni femes ke dulu?
whitelighter said…
K-riey.. ni tajuk cerpen dulu2 kala lah.. femes lah kut
k-riey said…
heh, jangan laa ltak link saye 'paris'.
saye kat 'AngoulĆŖme' yang permai je bang. hehehe
whitelighter said…
K-riey..

hahaha angouleme org tak tau lah.. at least cakap le dekat ngn bordeaux.. bordx pon org ramai tak tau.. hahaha.. macam org rawang mengaku KL lah..
whitelighter said…
K-riey..

hahaha angouleme org tak tau lah.. at least cakap le dekat ngn bordeaux.. bordx pon org ramai tak tau.. hahaha.. macam org rawang mengaku KL lah..

Popular posts from this blog

Kamus Loghat Muar / Tangkak

Triclub Doha Aquathlon 8

Hujan Emas di Qatar